Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Precious

Just heard, via Facebookistan, that a dear friend has died, leaving two young boys and a widow behind. He was my hero... we shared a dream of ditching the corporate rat race for a job in education.... and he did it first! While holding a day job, he attended night school at Hunter College for an advanced degree in music, with the intention of teaching music to middle school kids. And he made it, and began teaching in the public schools in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. His funeral was a full house, with HUNDREDS outside, listening over loud speakers. Surprised? No. Aside from being my personal hero, he was a beautiful human being.

So I've cried my eyes out for two hours... and the 4yo has hugged me and brought me special drawings to make me feel better, and I have taught her, as I try to teach her each and every day, that life is precious. Life is too short to be unhappy. Life is too short to hold a grudge or put off doing what we really want to do. And that the most important thing in life is to share your love and yourself with the people you love and with people who are less fortunate.

RIP, Dan Kerness, my fatty. Thank you for being living proof that escape is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment